Walker Insurance Agency was established around 1895 by the original owner and operator, J.S. (Jim) Walker. In 1923, he formed Roxboro Savings & Loan Association which he managed until his death in 1945. The insurance agency and the savings & loan were located in the same building in a room above the old Post Office at the corner of Main and Depot Streets. In 1930 both firms moved to a building on the corner of Main and Abbitt Streets. The building was connected to the old Jones Hotel.
In 1930, J.C. (Bill) Walker joined his uncle's firm, and following J.S. Walker's death, became the owner and operator of Walker Insurance Agency and managing officer of Roxboro Savings & Loan Association. The insurance agency was purchased by the firm of Allen & Jones who employed Myrtle Riley as manager in 1933, but in 1934 they sold it back to Mr. Walker.
Both firms moved their office again in 1939. They occupied the building at the corner of Main & Depot Streets, directly across the street from their original location, until May of 1960. At that time, they moved to 214 S. Main St., the first building constructed for the purpose of housing both firms.
In 1953 Joyce Walker Jones went to work for the insurance agency, and in 1977 became the sole proprietor. Janie Day was employed by the firm the same year. The firm also moved to a new location at 1140 N. Main St.
In 1992 Robby W. Jones joined his mother’s firm as office manager and producing agent.
Walker Insurance Agency changed its name to Walker Insurance Agency, Inc., and also moved to its present location at 801 N. Madison Blvd. in 1994. This building was the office of the late Tom Woody Sr. and Tom Woody Jr. Attorney at Law.
Walker Insurance Agency Inc. has been serving the needs of the people of Roxboro and Person County since 1895 and is looking forward to many years of continued success